Monday, August 24, 2020

Finishing touches to the tugboat

  

After testing on the water, I found a couple of little tweaks I wanted to make to the tugboat .

First, every time the superstructure wobbled, I was nervous it would fall into the water and sink. The retaining pieces provided aren't generous, so a 1cm tall wall is fixed inside the deck hole. Not only will this reduce the chances of the wheelhouse falling off, it will keep any water that makes its way on to the deck from getting it to the working gubbins. 

While I'm at it, the superstructure is tied to the hull with a length of very thin wire. If it falls off, hopefully this will allow me to retrieve it. I've done the same for other boats and at least once been very glad I did. 

Talking of the wheelhouse, the caption was rattling around having come unglued. Easing a knife blade under the edges and breaking the glue joint gave me access and I fixed him down again. 

Once happy the glue had dried, I put the wheelhouse top on, and it wouldn't sit properly. A few minutes prodding and wobbling the part lead me to realise the problem is he's too tall! Somehow, Lindberg made a mistake and if you want a man at the wheel, you have to file down his cap or chop off his feet. 

Since it's hard to see inside, I have gone for option 3, have him standing outside and hope no-one notices the ghost steered ship. The figures are too nicely made to hide away in the gloom anyway. 

I see I need to get some dirt under the lip of the funnel too...

No comments: