Thursday, August 20, 2020

My new Willi

 

Roll out the double entendre's, I have a new locomotive!
 
Now, I'm not really a steam man. I mean, I like watching both miniature and full-size steam locomotives in operation, but the urge to actually own one has never been that strong. As a child, and even an adult, I never wanted to be a steam train driver. The smell is lovely, but all the effort to make the thing work, give me a diesel or electric. 

In the garden, I love building battery electric locos. They aren't exciting to watch, or challenging to operate, but I like sitting back with trains trundling by without worrying if the thing is going to explode. I own an Accucraft "Ragleth" which is lovely, but that's mainly because I feel as Garden Rail editor, I should have a chuff-chuff.

Despite this, since watching a vertical boiler loco at ScoutRail earlier this year, I've fancied owning something similar. Watching all the moving, waggly bits is fun. 

A couple of weeks ago, I spotted a Regner Willi for sale on Facebook. I ummed and ahh'ed a bit then messaged the seller. It was still for sale and we agreed I'd buy it. A Regner for Mamod money (that's two full-ish fat OO locos for small-scale modellers) seemed almost too good to be true and I'll admit paying by bank transfer rang a few alarm bells. 

I didn't need to worry, the photo of a Post Office reciept was followed a day later by a parcel containing the locomotive. It was greasy, but looks good. 

 
The wheels were set to 32mm gauge and I don't have a line suitable for that, so the first test was on bricks. It makes sense to do this anyway. Go through the learning curve operating the model without having to chase it around.

Despite being warned it could be tricky to steam, I had it running very quickly. The only niggle was that you don't shove the reverser all the way around, 2/3 of a turn seems enough. 

Pressure was raised very quickly thanks to a warm day and warm water. 


And there we go! Chuntering away like a Swiss (or German) watch. Quality if construction seems really good, I especially like the hand-wheels on the gas tank and lubricator. I'm sure someone will say the geared drive isn't realistic, but I don't care. 

So, I'm happy so far. Time to clean the model up and break out the Brasso. Yes, I plan to polish my Willi...

4 comments:

Mark said...

That looks like a lot of fun.

One quick question. I know you have some LGB stuff for the garden which I assume is track powered. On the other hand I assume this has metal wheels which possibly aren't insulated from the axles. Are you just really careful to never mix track powered locos with items that don't have insulated wheels (at least on one side) or is there something clever I'm missing?

I'm asking as I'm just starting to build up a loco for the garden which is battery powered and both wheels are live to the axle.

Phil Parker said...

Good point. I'm just being careful. To be honest, the line operates one engine in steam anyway, so I don't anticipate it being an issue. There are a couple of battery-powered vehicles if I need a train waiting in the loop.

Mark said...

Thanks. I assumed "being careful" was the answer, just wanted to check I wasn't missing something clever that I should know before going much further with trains in the garden.

Fairywood Light Railway said...

Trains in Gardens is the way to go. I haven't looked back since moving from N Gauge. I love the camaraderie more within the garden rail world. No snobbery here like I found in N Gauge. That's my thinking anyway. Take the bigger scale into a different world Mark.

I run 32mm gauge.

Rod