Thursday, September 01, 2022

Getting on track

 

Amazingly, after a tiny twist, the wheel quartering seemd pretty much spot on. Rods were slid over bearings and the retaining nuts done up hard, then touched with superglue to ensure they don't undo themselves - as one did when testing under power. For a hour or so's work, things were looking good. 

Finding space for pickups was tricky. The PCB shelf was well fitted, but I like to bear on the backs of the wheels as far away from the centres as I can so there is some spring in the phosphor-bronze wire. A bit of dodging around chassis parts was required, but on the first go, three of the four were doing their job. Considering how long it is since I did this, that's a pretty good hit rate. 

After that, a blast on the test track with unsophisticated H&M Clipper power, and it seems I have a working loco!


All I need is to tidy up the edges of the wheels and rods and it's time for some body titivation. The real thing might be green, but I'll stick with black as intended by the original builder. A bit of weathering will help bring it alive though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One word-lovely!