Sunday, March 19, 2023

Steaming at the Midlands Garden Rail Show

 

Phil at work

Last weekend's Midlands Garden Rail show saw me try something new - operating a steam locomotive on an indoor track at a show. 

I was a bit nervous about doing this. While I've operated many, many electric small scale layouts, steam is a little trickier. If your model decides to be cantancerous, you look daft. Especially compared to all the experts working thier chuffers at the same event. 

Worse, because of my editorship of Garden Rail, people expect me to be one of those experts, or at least I think they do.  

So, I booked a late Saturday slot on the 16mm Association track and when my appointed time arrived, took things carefully. Part of the problem is I don't know quite how things operate. Where is the steaming area? What are the rules about moving on to the running line? 

Fortunatly, Dave and Doug looked after me. I had chosen to use my Merlin Mayflower as it's a proven performer, and has radio control fitted which should avoid the pitfalls of chasing a model around the track. True to form, the loco steamed well, although I'd overfilled the boiler and shot about 20 gallons of oily water up the chimney. Good job the flight box carried plenty of kitchen towel. 

When underway, the model didn't seem to be as responsive as in the past. We didn't have the super-slow speed control I'd hoped for. A borrowed rake of 3D printed slate wagons proved to be a bit too light and were swapped for first one, and then three large hoppers. The loco didn't lack power to handle these and eventually I was chuffing around with a cake balanced on the back, to the amusement of others. 

Phil at work, with cake

Eventually, it was time to head back to the sidings and I'll admit to being a bit releived. Things had gone OK for a first try. I'm glad I picked a quiet time to run though. The crowds deserve better operation. I'll get there though. 

And the cake - lovely, although the icing was a touch warm and damp after a few circuits...

Thanks to Andy Christie and John Campbell for the photos.

No comments: