Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Think Tank - Shrewsbury

 

Think Tank

There are a couple of model shops in Shrewsbury, so I'll cover each in seperate posts to make it easy for Google. 

First up, we have Think Tank - Military Model Kits and scenic supplies. 

Located in the Parade Shopping Centre, two minutes stroll from the main street, it's a small single unit, but absolutely stuffed with goodies for the military modeller. Plenty of plastic kits, including a load from the Mini-Art range. I was tempted by both a crane and pack of pigeons. Being 1/35th scale, they would both be pretty useless, and so I stopped myself. 

I did come away with some glues, Plastruct sections, and a vac-formed bridge unit that looked like a bit of fun for a fiver. There was a lot of similar terrain on offer, not something I've seen in a shop for a long while. There wasn't even that much at the IPMS last year. That, and a tiny gold coloured mini Budha from a rumage box. No, I'm not sure why either.

The other big name on the shelves is Jarvis scenics. Again, more than I recall seeing in one place before. I'm not a great fan as I recall the dyed sawdust losing it's colour very quickly, but then that was over 30 years ago, so things may have changed. There are a lot of resin cast walls and hedges that defintly have model railway applications. 

Looking at some of the flyers in the shop, there is a healthy wargaming community locally, and plastic kit builders too.

If all this sounds like too much work, there were several completed dioramas for sale so you can have the pleasure of ownership, without all the trouble of building models. Me, I'd see that as a way to clear space so I can build more models...

Sadly, no website, but well worth a look if you are in town. As an added bonus, the excellent book/antique shop I bought the miner from is downstairs. Since it has a massive transport section, you might find it expensive!

And why was I in Shrewsbury? Well, I fancied a day out, and the town has one of the few Wimpy's left. Time to enjoy a Brown Derby - desert of kings!




2 comments:

3Jumps said...

...and what a strange coincidence...

I just checked back to see if you saw my comment and saw your post today of your trip to Shrewsbury....where I grew up and where my dad still lives :-) Vicky

Simon Hargraves said...

Ashford also has a Wimpy, it's quite a culture shock having your burger served up on a proper china plate! Not visited Shrewsbury for a while, though last time I did go in the other model shop, which I found very well stocked.