Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fairey Huntsman


huntsman nose
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
A few weeks ago I bought a job lot of model boats at an auction. To say they went for a song would be an understatement.

The sensible financial part of me said, "Stick them on eBay and make a quick profit." But the sad modelmaking bit that means I will alway be poor insists that at least of of the 3 hulls becomes a project. Since the 46" Fairey Huntsman is the nearest to being complete, that's the one I'll do.

The model is pretty well made. The motor is installed and to get it on the water I just need to fit radio gear and a servo. Before doing this I think a waterproof hull would be nice and getting rid of the brown paint that is where a proper Huntsman has white would be good too.

So on a sunny morning I took the boat outside and sanded the hull down. That paint isn't coming off but I quickly had the hull ready for a couple of coats of varnish. I suspect it's pretty watertight already but you can never be too careful. Anyway, the shiny wood looks nice in the sun so I'm happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I salvaged one of these 2 years ago. It had a petrol engine which I suspect was a genuine 60's one, but I couldn't get it running.

Anyway, just looking for advice to motorise it, I've got a racing motor in it now, but its a bit slow as its not geared or anything.

Cheers

Graham.

my email grumbo39@hotmail.com