Friday, July 27, 2018

A locomotive kit from Butterley

Nipping over to the Midland Railway at Butterley for the garden railway open day, I had a great time. When this happens, I like to come away with a souvenir as a contribution towards the coffers and by the end all they had out of me was the price of a delicious ham salad bap.

Nothing in the gift shop appealed, apart from an APT riding certificate that people have been asked to make a "reasonable" offer for over the last 2 years. That and some Triang Big-big coaches that the contents of my rucksack told me I didn't need.

On the counter though, were some bags of Lego. "Home made" kits for a steam loco. Complete with printed instructions that I assume come from an official website that presumably also allows you to produce the kit and buy the bits. All for a fiver and a nifty gift idea. Not a bad price compared to official kits too.

Assembly of the loco kit takes a few minutes. I reckon the design is by a proper AFOL as the boiler and smokebox is a bit unusual in format. I though it very clever. A young Phil would have been over the moon with it.


No comments: