Sunday, July 15, 2018

Smallspace 2018

Vila

It's 40 years since the superb BBC sci-fi drama Blakes 7 debuted on our TV screens and a very young Phil sat and watched some dystopian telly, missing the sub-plot completely and just enjoying the special effects and spaceships. It was grittier than Dr Who but I didn't care.

Smallspace this year celebrated this with the original Liberator (in a VERY bad way) and an appearance by Michael Keating, who played Vila Restal in the series along with the designer and model makers from the show. A shuffle of displays allowed us to enjoy "Vila's Vault" with a collection of props and costumes, bot real and reproduction. You can tell the later, they are better made and more detailed!

UFO hunters

Along side this there were examples of more sic-fi modelmaking, a bit of steampunk and the most amazingly detailed bakers shop where every item was hand made from clay and I wanted to tuck in!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil

Some one is taking the P from "missing the sub-lot completely" in your blog.

Also Blake's Seven is 40 years old? I'm starting to feel old. Really old.


George

Paul B. said...

You've now got me looking at DVD box sets on Amazon... the question is though have I got time to sit through 17 discs?
If you enjoyed Gareth Thomas' acting then I'd suggest checking out the quite scary childrens series 'Children of the Stones'. Another 70s gem.

Phil Parker said...

George - Thanks. Now fixed.

And Blake's 7 wasn't 40 years ago, it was only 5 or 6. And I'm still doing my O Levels...

I wish!