Friday, October 19, 2018

Get your voting fingers ready!

Vote

It's voting time for a couple of important contests. 

The BRM Cakebox Challenge
49 entrants can be seen here. Please take a look at each one, pick three and jot down their numbers. Then head over to the voting page to make your choices.

All the entries are impressive and inspirational with really clever ideas that we can all take back to our own modelling efforts. I'm pleased that the competition has turned several lapsed modellers into active modellers again.

The Wishlist Poll

The Poll Team put a terrific amount of work in each year to create a poll of prototypes that modellers would like to see appear as RTR products. While no manufacturer will use this as their only guide when planning ranges for the future, it certainly plays a part and it's interesting to see how many new models appear that have been placed high on this list.

Vote in The Wishlist Poll



2 comments:

Nick Brad said...

I have voted....I still have a couple of part built models which I will complete outside of the competition, I may even have one to bring with me to Peterborough in December, (if I pull my finger out and get it done)

James Finister said...

I found this a surprisingly interesting exercise in model railway criticism of the best sort. That is the sort that is more about improving your own models rather than scoring points off others ;-)

I found something to like, intrigue or even copy on almost every one of them. But where is the fun in that?

What I found interesting is what didn't work for me, because I learned something from my list:

1) Don't compromise on width - even single track needs space
2) Using novel angled viewpoints requires a lot of thought
3) It is very easy to add in one element too many - often that is a train!
4) Plonking individual elements down without some internal logic doesn't work, even if you've tried to make an interesting composition.