Monday, November 11, 2019

Pendon and the Madder Valley

Gammon Worthy Halt

A few weeks ago, RMweb Gold members were invited to a special private event at Pendon.

We were given tours of the main scenes which included a trip inside the Vale scene and plenty of time for photography with the protective glass folded down out of the way.

I was a bit cheeky and also managed to get myself inside the Madder Valley display where I bagged a few photos from angles you can't normally get to - a terrific way to appreciate the modelling and inspire me to get the cardboard out and have a go myself!


WTC Loco



1 comment:

Huw Griffiths said...

Let's guess - might a pile of cardboard and some shellac (or more modern alternative) be about to put in an appearance on the BRM stand at "Warley"?

OK - probably not - but some BRM readers have never actually done a tidy job of building models from cardboard.

(Some people know what happened the last time I tried modelling in this medium. Suffice to say, I'd need some convincing to have another go - like seeing it done in front of me - and being encouraged to have a go under supervision.)

Anyway, it's fair to say that I'm far more comfortable working with polystyrene, etched brass, rigid PVC foam ... . I think you get the general idea.

Turning to Pendon, the last photo in your blog post is interesting - especially the lighting. Are the overhead lights built into the layout display case?

(My apologies if this seems like a stupid question - I've never had the chance to visit Pendon.)

A couple of years back, I seem to recall you using micro layout / diorama to demonstrate lighting the foreground and backdrop - with differing light levels being used to help create an illusion of depth.

I can't remember right now - was it just enough light to see clearly on the trains and foreground; stronger, more bluish, lighting on the backdrop - or have I got it completely wrong?