Sunday, April 05, 2020

I might as well build the b****y thing then!

I've been trying to thin down my stash of unstarted projects. Like most of us, I've accumulated kits that no longer fit into my future plans. Kits like this Airfix Peugeot 206.

I bought it because I had a Peugeot 206 and thought it would be nice to build a model of it. The 206 is a surprisingly unloved car and miniatures are thin on the ground. The Airfix kit appeared like it might offer an option but looking at it, mine was quite a long way from the rally version and I'm not convinced any conversion would look right - so the kit went into the stash.

A few weeks ago, I decided to clear space and put it up on eBay. This week it sold so I packed it and headed down to the Post Office. I'd arranged a pre-paid slip so minimal handling would be required, important in these unusual times.

But the Post Office was closed. For the foreseeable future. Staff shortages apparently.

Now you might think I could just take it to a different Post Office, but we've not enjoyed one of those on Leamington for well over 6 months. When the PO was given away to the governments mates, ours shifted from the purpose build building to the back of a supermarket. Which then closed down.

The PO re-opened for a week and then a leaky roof caused it to close again. And that was that.

Now I could wait for the local office to re-open maybe, but I'm not convinced this is going to happen. Therefore I've refunded the buyer and called it all off.



So, with the eBay fees and postage I can't seem to get back, had I thrown this kit in the bin, I'd be around 4 quid worse off. So, I'm now thinking I might as well just glue it together for fun, and then chuck it in the bin.

So much for clearing out old projects...


4 comments:

Graham Spicer said...

A kit exists to be built. Leaving it to languish in the limbo of your stash denies its potential as a model, your skills as a modeller and our appreciation both.

Carpe diem mate!

Salmotrutta said...

It might be quite "collectable" in that I don't think it was ever very popular. Then maybe not....

Phil Parker said...

"A kit exists to be built" My sentiments exactly. Can't understand looking at a plastic kit and NOT wanting to build it.

Andy from Workshopshed said...

It should take up slightly less space when assembled and if you do a good job of it, you could still eBay it then. Perhaps give it a custom plate and give it to a relative for Christmas?