Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Luggage rack

A prominent feature of the real Polar Bear is the set of handrails on the top of the battery boxes. In the instructions, these are described as a "luggage rack", although this seems odd as the railway didn't actually go anywhere other than the cliff edge. You wouldn't take your suitcases along as you'd be back at the start an hour or so after you'd left.

Whatever it's for, I didn't like the split pins supplied and had a dig for something better. I found 6 nice Gauge 1 short handrail knob, but need 8. They would have been perfect, but I decided to settle for some O gauge medium handrail knobs. I had 8 and they look OK.

I'll admit that it helps I'd realised the limitations of the kit compared to the prototype in some areas but am happy to build what the model boat world calls a "standoff scale" model.

The knobs were reamed out for 0.9mm wire (I didn't like the wire provided with the kit either) and the sides fitted. Some careful snipping and soldering saw the fronts in place too.

A bit of a polish with fine emery and it's job done. I've had to paint some brass bits on the model and am undecided at the moment if I paint these. Still thinking about that one so feel free to express opinions in the comment section.

1 comment:

Ken555 said...

Maybe for your wicker picnic hamper.

Picnics on the cliff,