Friday, April 10, 2020

The railcar that almost got away

I don't have many regrets as far as buying RTR models are concerned, but one that did bug me was the Ixion "Coffee Pot" railcar.

The prototype was found on the Pichi Richi railway in Australia. I've travelled on this, although not in a railcar, but that wasn't the main motivation behind me acquiring this model. I just liked the look of it. One day I aspire to an On30 model, and while it's likely to be a bit American, this would fit right in.

Why didn't I buy one when they were available?

Because the coach looks horribly plasticy. Compare it to the prototype photo here and you can see what I mean.

But, I still liked the model. It's lovely to look at, and maybe I can fix the coach with some paint. By the time I worked this out though, the model had long since vanished from our shelved. Made in a limited run, it took a long time watching eBay to find one at a price I liked. In the end, I liked paying 30 quid or so less than the new price, so perhaps things do come to those who wait.

OK, the self-colour plastic coach body is pretty horrible, but the rest of the model is a joy. The waggly bits waggle as the model moved smoothly. If I wield the paintbrushes (I recall there is a Tim Shackleton article on it somewhere) apply a little dirt and add a crew, I reckon I'm glad I filled this gap in my collection.

So, does anyone fancy admitting to a model they wish they had bought when it was available?

5 comments:

matt scrutton said...

Broadway imports C-19!

Paul B. said...

Kit wise, the entire Saltford Models range. As for RTR, I sometimes buy something because it looks nice, it sits in a box untouched, then a few years later I sell it on.

Phil Parker said...

Paul - Join the queue for the Saltford Models range!

Huw Griffiths said...

Phil - I agree about the "Coffee Pot" - in time, I might have to have a go at building a homebrew (and probably freelance) variant.

However, does anyone really just have "the ONE that got away"?

Some of the items on my "if only" list might sound very familiar - a Van Roll monorail - a Transrapid maglev - both could have made interesting projects, but I'm not exactly worrying about them.

When I was working in Oxford a number of years back, Howes in Kidlington had a job lot of undecorated HO scale 3 car Roco Düwag articulated trams - which they sold off at a bargain basement price. These days, I'm thinking that it might have been great if I'd got about half a dozen of them.

A few years later, Roco offered their take on Hornby's Railroad range. Their version involved stripped out (possibly even toy like) models of German outline locos, complete with serviceable chassis, at bargain basement prices. I'm sure their Class 215 could have been very useful for DIY builds. Needless to say, I never actually got the chance to get hold of any.

More recently, some people might remember Bachmann's "Underground Ernie" range. Well, I got a couple of the multiple units on closeout (wish I'd got more). What I didn't get (and haven't seen since) were the inspection cars.

Well there's actually some more Bachmann stuff on my list - albeit On30 - some 4 wheel trams - some of their coaches and combines - and especially the Davenport switcher.

As for "novelty" items, the one I'd really like to get hold of is the Lehmann "Gnomy" tram. I'm not worried about whether it's the version with a friction motor. A number of years back, the things were easy to find and about £2.50 a pop. Not any longer - and I'm certainly not about to pay the sort of prices some eBay merchants seem to have been looking for.

No - I've been thinking of "cutting and shutting" a few of the things together to build a more passable model tramcar. Since I don't expect to see new examples in the shops any time soon, I might just as well start from scratch, with a couple of sheets of plastic.

Of course, this would also involve a very scary concept - model making - yes, right. On second thoughts, there are probably two chances of that happening - "slim chance" and "no chance" - and I do believe that "slim" has just left town ... .

William Lee said...


Dear Phil,
There's a very nice article by Tim Shackelton in the Industrial and Narrow Gauge Review nr. 88 and 89 on painting and weathering a 'Coffee Pot'.
Regards, William Lee