Thursday, April 09, 2020

Tenterden shop kit

Another model from the kit stash. This City Streets kit came my way a few years ago, I think from a blog reader whose name I can't find no matter how long I dig through my e-mail. I remember soma happy holidays in Tenterden as a child. A few trips on the Kent & East Sussex railway and a lovely main street to walk down.


This kit is made up of some nicely cast resin parts. The detail looks pretty good and there's not too much flash to deal with. I found the stuff there was needed to be sanded away, the material being too hard to cut with a knife.

Resin models can be "entertaining" as the parts are rarely spot on square. I've cut up enough ready to plonk model buildings to know how wonky they can be once you attack them. This seemed pretty good, but fixing with epoxy resin was the order of the day since a bit of gap filling was required.

I made up the two corner sections, let them dry and then brought them together and that's when it all went a bit wrong.

Noticing that the building wobbled, I tried to tweak it with my fingers with the clamps in place. Normally, you can get away with this if the glue is soft enough. It might have been, but the old resin sides were brittle.


Suddenly, I was left with many bits of building.

I did contemplate getting the superglue out, but couldn't find all the jigsaw and really, this wasn't going to get any squarer or flatter. Sadly, this building is now in the bin. I have more examples and so one day I'll have another go as this range is worth the effort.

It all goes to show that modelling doesn't always go quite as well as I'd like every time!

2 comments:

Luke said...

Hi Phil,

I think that'd be me! It was the last City Classics stuff from Jane's of Tooting (to which you have an open invitation (post Covid-19 and they are open again!.

Sorry the kit didn't behave itself :(

Yours

Luke

Phil Parker said...

No your fault Luke - I'm still going to have a go at the other kits. They are really impressive mouldings. I just need not to break them!