Monday, April 20, 2020

Polar Bear

That's it - Polar Bear is finished and working. 

The kit is a bit of curate's egg. Some bits work really well, others less so. The end result looks OK as long as you don't really know the prototype. I'll enjoy running the model once the 32mm gauge line in the garden is finished, but I know the definitive version is still waiting for me to scratchbuild. 

What I have is a nice and rugged model locomotive that will look pretty on the track. It rumbles along at a fair lick, but in that respect is a lot like the prototype. 

Even with the limitations of the kit, I'm glad I added some detail on the wheels and brake gear. That was worth it just to add some relief. The Revell Anthracite black contrasts with the cream and scarlet bodywork nicely, just like the real thing. 

And why did I chose to model Polar Bear? Well, Garden Rail readers will know there is a 3D printed kit for Sealion awaiting my attention one day. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks good Phil. Mine is nearly finished, it has run on the railway, just painting to go. I am going to go for the what if one had been bought by a small railway which was not very good at looking after things. It us certainly a racing engine

Phil Parker said...

The real thing is a bit of a jackrabbit starter too. I wonder what the originals were like nearly a century ago?