Friday, November 30, 2007

Class 14 diesel


Finished 14
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
By the skin of its teeth, the Class 14 has made it to Warley. Yesterday I received the final parts, some lozenge shaped items for the top of the long bonnet. A bit of an experiment ensued – how many coats of paint can I apply in two hours and are they enough to cover the whitemetal.

Luckily the answers were 3 and yes. After a quick shot of matt varnish you couldn’t tell that they hadn’t been on there when I first painted the model.

Coupling are Romford screws – with everything behind the buffer beam chopped off otherwise the chassis won’t go in. Buffers are Gibson – soon they will get oval heads but they weren’t available at the time. Unless you know they look OK though.

The locomotive was delivered to Trevor this afternoon during the set up session at the NEC and he is very pleased with it. Go along to the show and have a look, then let me know what you think.

As an aside, this is the 500th post on the blog. I’m a bit chuffed with this – the current rate of posting is about 250 entries a year, which is higher than a lot. My Flickr account, which hold the photos used is pretty full as well. I suppose I ought to try and say something profound but that would just be rubbish or turn into a rant and I have at least one of those lined up for the future anyway.

Apart from the fun of writing this stuff, now I have enough of an archive it’s fun to take a look back and see what I was doing a year ago. Time certainly flies when you are having fun and I’m amazed to see that this time 2006 I was fixing my campervan, especially as I’ve just got it back from having the front beam replaced. Some things never change !

So here’s to another 500 with all the burnt fingers and pointless frustration that will occur getting there.

No comments: