Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Sloppy chassis


Jinty chassis from the top
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Returning to the Jinty chassis, all I had to do was dismantle it, paint and then reassemble.

This was fine but during the rebuilding I took the opportunity to get some spacers in between the wheels and the frames on the drive axle. I had about 3mm of side-play !

I think some wider chassis spacers would have been a good idea here. I used the widest ones in the kit but they were still too narrow, even on the compensated axles which have thicker bearings. Strange though as the kit chassis was designed for 14.2 gauge. Perhaps the designer assumed we all use Romford wheels (I wish).

Having said this, under test the chassis ran around the layout so I can’t complain too much. I still sorted the powered end though just to be sure.

No comments: