Saturday, November 24, 2007

Soldering on


14 soldered
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I’ve been busy today. The whole afternoon has been devoted to getting the Class 14 a lot closer to being finished than it was. Solder fumes have filled the air (I have a desk fan to blow them away from my nose as they can’t be good for me) and fingers have been singed. I think though, that I have finished soldering on the body.

Tough bits ? Well the cab floor should go in at an earlier stage than I did it – a bit of work with a piercing saw got me out of the hole but not being in it would have been better. The ends are fun – guess who didn’t really leave enough space behind the handrails on the front.

Both high and low melt solder were used but mostly with a normal iron. If you are quick enough and the castings are chunky enough this isn’t a problem. Just don’t hang about.

Apart from that it all went well. The model seems a bit blank still but that’s because I plan to glue most of the overlays on. That’s tomorrow’s job.

No comments: