Sunday, November 04, 2007

Numbers up


Painted Jinty body
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Transfers don’t half improve a model. The trouble is they can ruin it as well. Wonky numbers do nothing for the look of a locomotive no mater how good the metalwork is.

I get around this by making a guide from scrap plasticard - only a rectangle but it works.

For the Jinty I made it deep enough to sit in the footplate with the top reaching the bottom of the numbers. Suprisingly this works well and is easy to use. Even doing the spacing by eye doesn’t cause me too much grief.

The process is quicker, even allowing for making the guide, than fiddling around doing everything by eye. Much less swearing too !

The numbers on the front are hand painted ‘cos I don’t think I have anything small enough and even if I did, putting them on would be a real pain. As long as there is something on the front plate the eye seems happy, or at least mine is.

The totem is harder. I have only two sizes on the 3mm special sheet from Fox Transfers. One was much too small and the other slightly too big. I went for the later as I felt it looked better on the model. BR seemed a bit haphazard when they picked the transfer from some locos too so I won’t be losing sleep of this.

After transfering, the body was given a quick spray of satin varnish. Once those numbers are on I want them to stay there !

Final touch is the smokebox being hand painted (can’t be bothered to do the masking) with mat black. This contrasts nicely with the rest of the body and looks very authentic.

No comments: