Friday, January 02, 2009

Chassis on jig


Chassis on jig
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
The Dock Tank chassis is reasonably conventional. Two sides, a rear spacer and two slot in cylinder ends which space out the front end. Accurate building is essential so I jigged the whole lot up using the con rods to provide the axle spacing.

Each sideframe was reamed to get the bushes to fit and the reamed again to get them to fit when on the jig. I think that one of the rear etched holes is out by about 1/2mm vertically - although this might not be the problem there is certainly something odd going on but it's tiny error. When I built my first model I suspect I just reamed out the holes a lot and did the best I could solving the problem through trial and error. Having an accurate jig helps a lot here and the resulting chassis is square and flat.

One problem I do remember from last time was that the frames are (IMHO) on the thin side. I've always tended towards thicker metal here regardless of scale pretensions. A couple of lengths of L-shaped brass beefed up the top. Previously I used some diagonals across the gap which worked but had to be removed to fit wheels and motor. This time the strengthening can stay in forever although I expect to have the thin the lip a touch when squeezing the gearbox in.

No comments: