Monday, February 09, 2009

Pressfix Transfers

TransfersAnother make or break moment for this model locomotive - applying transfers. In stock I had the appropriate Pressfix LMS locomotive sheet. These decals give the best result because there is no transfer film around the letters. It's just that I struggle with them.

According to the instructions you lift the top layer of the transfer from the sheet, prod it into place with a final hard push and then float the transfer sheet off with some water revealing a beautiful letter, number or crest. Fine in theory but I'd always assumed that one the thing was in place, that was where it stayed even if you'd got it slightly wonky. Fixing this meant taking off the transfer and using a new one. Since you couldn't get a clear view of whatever you were applying until the paper was removed this made an important job more challenging. Wonkiness would also be inversely proportional to the number of transfers left on the sheet multiplied by your chances of getting more before the model was required. Guess how I know this ?

Apparently I was wrong. While trawling Stafford show for waterslide transfers I chatted to Graham Shaw (now ex-Shawplan models) who gave me a hint. If I mixed up a 3 part methylated spirit: 1 part water mix, this could be brushed on the transfer once the top sheet had been removed and allow me to move it very slightly. Or I could just drink the mix and I probably wouldn't care how wonky the letters were*

And it works. Thanks to a clear plastic guide I managed to get the LMS on first time (in the photo I've not held the plastic against the footplate because I needed a hand for the camera but in used I'm careful to make sure it's in the right place) but the numbers needed a little gentle lifting and prodding to get the best alignment.

Mind you if you can find waterslide then having transfer film showing isn't all that unrealistic according this photo.

*Kids, methylated spirits should be enjoyed responsibly.

No comments: