Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fox Walker Chassis


Fox Walker Chassis
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
No real problems here. After punching the rivets, I jigged the chassis up as usual. The only choice was which set of rods to use. There is a set on the fret with the kit and some Alan Gibson ones as well. I went for the later as they seemed to be a better match for the wheelbase. Apparently the kit set are to be redrawn immanently but this is the very acceptable work around at present.

I did have to ream out the axle holes larger than normal and I think the bearings at one end are out of the centre line of the hole by something approaching 1mm. This is more likely to be my fault as the kits however. The chassis jig I'm using has shouldered ends too fat for the holes in the rods so I had to set things up by measurement rather than just putting them through the rods as intended. One day I will get a set of axle rods with 1mm ends !

The spacers drop in quickly and are followed by ashpan sides. These include holes for wire to aid lining up but I didn't bother with this relying on sprung clips instead. It's only a little thing but I like this extra bit of detail. Once painted I reckon a dusting of rusty weathering powders will look fantastic.

Romford wheels in and rods on (held in place with insulation from thin wire) and the chassis was rolled up and down the test track without any extra fiddling. I think I'm getting better at this thank goodness.

No comments: