Sunday, October 20, 2013

On giving up the exhibition circuit

Several people at the weekend asked me about my post back in February announcing I was quiting the exhibition circuit.

They rightly pointed out that despite my stated aim, I seemed to be turning up at lots of shows with models. This is true.

Some had realised that I mucked my exit from the circuit up by getting seriously involved with writing for model railway magazines who not unreasonably expect me to pitch up at their shows. This is correct, and assuming BRM don't see through my mirage of competence, it's going to get worse.

At the very least I'll be wherever the "BRM Village" is to be found. I play the idiot (I know I did that joke on Friday, but I like it and it's my blog). That means Doncaster, Ally Pally, Peterborough and presumably Warley.

In addition, we'll be looking to get out and about a bit so I expect to haul myself to a few other events. Although these will deliberately be limited. It's my job and I need a life outside of it, no matter how much fun I'm having. I don't want to end up (like I'm not already there) as one of those weirdos who spends all the time talking about toy trains.

Model Railway Exhibitions - You can check out, but you can never leave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also get the "Hotel California" experience - as a visitor to trade shows.

I go to one show (because some of the seminars might help me keep my knowledge up to date) - then get contacted about loads of other shows (some better / more relevant than others).

I decide to check out one of these "new" shows (seminars again) - and the cycle repeats itself.

In some cases, there might be another reason to register for a show - the venue itself. A good example of this was a year ago - when one show, vaguely connected with my area of (in)competence was held at the National Motorcycle Museum.

There weren't any seminars this time, but nobody minded. The show opening hours were sorted so that everyone visited the trade stands first then spent a few hours looking round the museum.

As well as visitors, a lot of the traders looked round the museum - and I'm sure that there would have been some "conversations" at the same time.

I left with good memories of the show - and holding the exhibiting firms in good regard, for making this possible.

A few months ago, I also ended up visiting the museum - as a paying visitor - despite the fact that I've never ridden a motorbike in my life.


Returning to model railway exhibitions, I think you're right to limit how many you exhibit at - "work / life balance" and all that.

With you usually going there on a magazine stand - or to demonstrate - hopefully this might allow you to limit the stuff you need to take yourself to an amount you'd be able to take by public transport.

Whether public transport actually gets you near enough to venues is another matter.


Some people might suggest that, in a sense, I'm fortunate with regard to both driving and shows.

I've had a driving licence for decades - but I've never owned a car. As a result, I've always enjoyed every chance I've had to drive - whether it's been hire cars or employers' vehicles.

I've also never built any models worth showing - on forum sites - in magazines - or anywhere else, for that matter.

Net result is that I've only been to shows as a visitor - using public transport, of course - so there'd be nothing to stop me sampling some "nourishing beverages" afterwards.

Whether I choose to do so is another matter.