Friday, May 13, 2016

NG chassis ideas required

OK, narrow gauge nerds, take a look at this:

009 chassis front
009 chassis underside
009 chassis back

Wheel diameter: 5.5mm
Wheelbase: 8mm
Height from rail top: 18mm

I bought this from this seller on eBay for less than £25 RTR.  Placed on some 009 track and given some elelctric juice from a 9V battery, it runs far sweeter than a bantam weight chassis should. 

So, the big question - what should I turn it in to? 

My plan is for a scratch built body but apart from that I'm very open to ideas. My assumption is this should be a 009 model, but it could be an N gauge industrial, or something very narrow gauge in a larger scale, O9 perhaps?

6 comments:

Ian Cooper said...

With a bit of modification, something along these lines?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/austin7nut/7322214516/

James Finister said...

Well there is this https://www.shapeways.com/product/S6ZTARZAY/oo9-decauville-plantation-0-4-0t-for-tsuwaga-chass

Anonymous said...

Go 009, you will have lots of bits to fit like whistles buffers and crew, plus you could even put a narrow gauge line on a future baseboard pperhapse as a dual gauge transfer station?
Take a look at the Paxton Road blog for scratch built from plastic card and bits as well as some of his own etched cabs and full kits, it's a brilliant site for old school modellers. (As is Bron Hebog, hope I spelt that right!)
Mark

Mark said...

I've had one of these for a while now and my plan is to turn it into a Kerr Stuart "Wren" class loco. It should fit as there was at one point a kit available to do just that although the kit no longer seems to be available.

Mark said...

Should have said the plan was to do a Wren in 009 -- pressed post before reading back through my own comment, sorry!

Paul B. said...

I have one of these knocking about in the pending pile.
Beware the 4.5v motor. A resistor can be fitted to protect it, and slow the thing down, I think 150ohms is about right?
I'm told that the unit lacks grunt, and for improved pulling power an option is to fit the smallest Nigel Lawton 6v mini-motor.
Some OO9 modellers have used these under a Merlin 'Gwen', available from the Chivers/Five 79 empire. I believe that Mr Chivers is planning a range of kits to utilise this chassis.
Tyneside Models make a printed Kerr Stuart, with an etched cab, but although the kit is pretty decent the service when I ordered mine was appalling.
There's quite a bit written about this tiny chassis on the NGRM-online forum.