Thursday, March 28, 2019

Go DCC, baseboard building and doughnuts in BRM


After a couple of months tangling with 3D printing, for the April 2019 edition of BRM, the team decided that I ought to go and learn about DCC.

For this, I was dispatched to Digitrains where I spent an excellent day having all the basics explained to me. There are loads of different controllers to try and plenty of advice to absorb. I'm still not ready to eschew analogue,  but I now feel I know a lot more about the subject and a lot of it isn't nearly as difficult as people like to make out.


For my Billy Bookcase projects, I've been building baseboards. The OO layout will sit on a Tim Horn laser-cut kit board. For my 009 model, I fancied something based around foam, which turned out to be a little more involved than I expected. At least the N gauge one is simple...


My camera has been out again, this time for the delightful 009 layout "First" - so called because it's owner hadn't built a layout before!





On the DVD, I'm adding weight to wagons. Which involves a joke with doughnuts. You have to see it to understand. 

1 comment:

BR60103 said...

Phil:
My involvement with DCC was when a buddy adopted it.
Having a math degree, I became the guru. I had to reconcile settings expressed in decimal, octal, binary and hexadecimal and people who started counting at 1 and those that started at 0.
I never went as converting old Dublo locos was well beyond my skill/comfort level.