Sunday, March 17, 2019

Judging photos for Bachmann

A couple of months ago, I spent a few hours at Bachmann's Leicestershire HQ.

My first job was to return the G scale Thomas train set I'd borrowed for the Peterborough show, but it wasn't the main reason for my visit.

I'd been invited to judge the annual Collectors Club photography competition.

Sat in a darkened room with club supremo Richard Proudman, we looked at the entries for each category projected on a big screen.

The process was a little like going for an eye test. The bit where they try two lenses and you have to decide between the results. The differences are subtle, and I always wonder if I've given the right answer.

Here, we had some really excellent photographs and needed to chose between them.

Each class was reduced to 3 images and then we looked more critically to decide a winner. Every time, any of these, and often some of the others already passed over, would have been a worthy winner.

Looking at the results in the Spring 2019 issue of the excellent club magazine, I'm happy with the choices - but kudos to every entrant. You certainly made me work for my lunch!

No comments: