Friday, January 17, 2020

MARS Propellorfahrzeug

LGB Flyer

Since Hornby has yet again failed to re-introduce the Battle Space Turbo car, I'll have to go for the next best thing - the LGB MARS Propellorfahrzeug.

I really don't know what posses the giant German train maker to produce something like this, but I'm glad they did. I'm even happier I could pick up this tidy second-hand version in a model shop near the Severn Valley Railway.
LGB Flyer


How does it work? 

Easy, you give it electric juice, the fan rotates and thanks to Newton's Third Law, the model moves forward. Even on a two-foot length of track, it picks up a respectable bit of speed. I can't wait to try it in the garden! 

Braking simply involves throwing the motor into reverse and since the model isn't that heavy, speed falls off nicely. Hopefully, before the model falls off at the corners. 

Obviously, boring modern health and safety rules mean the propeller is shrouded in plastic, but it doesn't seem to affect the propulsion in any way so I don't care. I love the look, I love the madness.

Don't worry, once I get this thing running outside, I will bring you a video.

3 comments:

James H said...

That looks like great fun Phil!

Huw Griffiths said...

I suspect this might have some of the pedants spitting feathers.

After all, there isn't enough relief on those "rivets" around the windscreen - for all they know, they might even be printed on, a transfer, or even a sticker.

THIS WILL NEVER DO!!!


Yes, yes, whatever ... .

Luke said...

I would have thought that the introduction of the SteamPunk range would have been a perfect time to re-introduce the Battle Space Turbo car. Ah well, maybe next year...