Thursday, September 03, 2020

Big box for a layout

  

While we are on the subject of boxes (see Tuesday's post) I also needed to find a way to protect Furness Quay while it is in storage. 

The problem of old layouts is a growing one for me. I ought to get rid of some, but the Quay is likely to prove useful as a photo backdrop and so while I have it, I want the think kept tidy so it can be pressed into service quickly and not need a refurbishment every time. 

The basic principle is the same as for loco and boat boxes, there's just a bit more wood involved. And some slightly less accurate measuring resulting in a little bodgery with the corner strengtheners to buy a few mm width.  


A little modification was required to fit the fiddle yard in with the layout, but nothing that a few minutes on the mitre couldn't solve, followed by re-fixing the end into the shortened yard. As it was, I didn't need to cut through the track, almost like I'd planned it!

The layout is now nice and snug in its storage and hopefully will be fine in the future. 


No comments: