Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Prisoner of war models

POW Model

During a trip to Liverpool Maritime Museum on Monday, I spotted this amazing piece of work. The model is under 2 inches long. It is made from scrap bits of wood by a French prisoner of war over 100 years ago.

The detail is incredible, especially when you consider the materials and tools available. It's very unlikely the builder would have had access to decent light - construction being carried out when they weren't doing whatever work we required POWs to carry out which I assume means in the evenings by candlelight.

I wouldn't have a hope of creating anything so detailed and delicate even with the facilities available to me nowadays so I can only stand in awe when looking at this little boat. In fact I find it difficult to beleive it exists, other than I've seen it with my own eyes.

More photos from Liverpool here.

No comments: