Friday, November 09, 2012

Skytrex factory and vintage footbridge in Hornby Magazine

Some projects are small and some are big. This months' Hornby Magazine showcases one of the later.

Looking at the range of resin factory parts produced by Skytrex, I found myself wondering if the walls designed to be used as low-relief items could be turned into a complete model building. Since they are pretty cheap in unpainted form, I had a go. The resulting building is over a foot long and 6 inches wide. About as big as I go on my modelling board.

It's not a difficult project and even if you go for the full-fat version as I did, produces a striking structure for not too much money compared with ready to plan resin buildings. If you can only see one side then money could be saved by replacing the resin bits with cardboard.

Elsewhere, I have a crack at a Hornby footbridge kit that dates from the 1980's but is still in the catalogue. I don't know why more people haven't used it as the results are as good as many etched models, the cost considerably less and the skills required to achieve a top model virtually nil. Mind you, if you insist on a pretty paint job like wot I did, you'll need to allow for around 5 hours with the brush, a stiff back and mild headache. Pour something nice to drink, put on some soothing music and enjoy...

Oh, and there are some reviews'n'stuff but you'll probably be too excited by the news about a diesel brake tender. Have a look in the back and you'll see some news about one of my future projects too.

Hornby Magazine

Skytrex Factory

1 comment:

Jackofallhobbies said...

That's a pretty sharp building.