Sunday, December 13, 2020

Model shop news

 From the UK Modelshops newsletter*: 

Sadly we have lost 24 model shops this past year, but the good news is that 22 new ones have opened up, fairly similar to 2019.

 So, countrywide, we have a defect of two model shops for 2020 - considering what a s**tshow of a year we've "enjoyed" then that's pretty good.

Optimistically, I'd say that this year will have seen those with little or no online presence struggle and those heading for retirement decide that this is the year is the year to call it quits. There will always be gains and losses, hopefully, those that are left will be in a stronger position than ever.

Trade with a working website have struggled to keep up with demand over the last few months. Even raw materials have been difficult, but not impossible, to come by. While frustrating, strong demand will hopefully drive stronger supply in the future.

What this definitely isn't is the "death of the hobby" as predicted by doom-fetishists online. I'll take that. 

*If you aren't signed up for this, get over there and do it now.

3 comments:

Ian C said...

I wonder what's classed as a "shop" these days. Is it a physical place you can visit? I have discovered a couple of really good model railway on-line only "shops". These aren't the big boxshifters, but individuals working out of their back bedrooms. I have had excellent service at good prices. Do these count as"shops"?

Phil Parker said...

Possibility for UKModelshops, but not for Bachmann or Peco who insist on a physical shop.

Huw Griffiths said...

Interesting points.

To be honest, as a customer, I don't have too much of an issue with "clicks and mortar" retailers - as long as the "mortar" actually exists.

Not having access to a car means that I probably won't be able to visit a number of suppliers' physical shops - so my contact with most of them is limited to internet / phone and seeing their stands at model railway shows. (Remember them?)

Some suppliers' shops might only be open part time - but at least they exist.

In a sense, the same applies to suppliers' stands at shows - they effectively become pop-up shops.

However, I can at least speak to a real person - and see what I'm paying for - before I reach for my wallet.

All of this talk aside, there are some really great suppliers out there - some big - some small.

In due course, I'm likely to be dealing with some of them - actually, I'm looking forward to the experience.

At this moment, I might not know exactly what I'll be buying from them.

What I know for certain, though, is that I'll be dealing with people with whom I've already had meaningful contact.

This gives me, personally, far more confidence than dealing with some outfit I know nothing about.

Perhaps this makes me "old fashioned" - a "Luddite" - fair enough - but at least I've got some idea where I stand.