Tuesday, December 15, 2020

More wall

 

Every time I drive in to the office, there is a wall that annoys me. It's newly built from stone and on a slight hill. And the line of the stones follows the hill.

It works fine as a wall, but I can't help feeling that the mortar lines are supposed to be horizontal. OK, that's more work as the lower levels will be slightly set into the ground - but it wouldn't niggle me as I sit waiting at the traffic lights. 

When it comes to the Selly Oak walls, I spent time looking online and am convinced I'm right. Mortar is flat so the wall has to step down as it follows down the hill. I think the top can slope, but even that seems to vary. I guess non-sloping is easier.

I'm started by going for the slope. It's very slight, the angle in the photo exaggerates it, but changed my mind and levelled it off. Plastic sheet is very adaptable. To be honest, no-one will be looking at these walls anyway, there is a lot of visual clutter to go around them. That's the trouble with this bit of the model. It's a fiddle, but no-one will be looking at it anyway once the whole scene is in place.

1 comment:

Chris Thomas said...

It takes a great deal more skill to build a wall that follows the ground contours,rather than have the courses horizontal. It is of course a matter of taste, but I'm always pleased to come across the rare examples of doing things the hard way.
Chris