Monday, January 22, 2024

A rucksack fit for a railway enthusiast

 

Rucksacks

My rucksack has been falling apart. Properly giving up the ghost, with the main zip chewing the material around it, and then losing a grip on the body of the bag. And that's on top of the mesh bottle holders becoming saggy and useless years ago. 

Finding a replacement has been time-consuming and tricky. For a start, it needs to be a reasonable capacity. Not 20 litres, as seems very common with online offerings, or large enough to carry a bus. The old Timberland one is 35 litres, and I often fill it up at shows. Nothing less will do. 

It's also the rucksack I use for work, so nothing outward bound please. And no camoflauge. I hate people who aren't in the forces, but dress in camo to make themselve feel "hard". 

So, sensible colour. Sensible size. Space for camera gear, or Japanese robot kits. 

I looked in every sort of shop that sold rucksacks, and found they were too small, too large, or looked like they would be at home on Snowdon. Online, there were lots of poncy versions, all too small. Timberland only make child sizes too. Pity as their rucksack had given me excellent service, so I'd have bought another happily. 

By chance, I was meeting a friend outside Sports Direct last weekend. A text saying they were delayed saw me wander in out of curiosity, and there it was. A Karrimor 40 litre bag. In sensibl grey. OK< a little bigger than ideal, but as I have to carry some medicinal stuff all the time now, I don't worry about that. 

So, happy Phil. 

The problem is, what do I do with the old rucksack? This thing has been around the world with me. It deserves more than ending up in landfill. A Viking funeral is called for, or perhaps conversion into a time capsule in some way. Still pondering this, suggestions welcomed...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The material from the old rucksack needs to be used as a base for some model railway scenery. Perhaps a storage facility?

rik

Anonymous said...

You could make patches for Trousers or for the new Rucksack out of it. Thats what my granny would have done

Anonymous said...

Chris Ford loves a good rucksack, He's always mentioning his love of them in his show reviews :)

Phil Parker said...

Good point, Perhaps I should gift wrap it, and pop it in the post :-)

Paul B. said...

Alpkit will repair kit, they've done stuff for me including my Camelbak (rucksack with a drinking water bladder for cyclists). Prices are reasonable and landfill avoided. I'm sure a little digging will show up other companies that do the same.

Luke Stevens said...

I have a Karrimore 30 coming to the end of its life so thank you for the recommendation, and I await your disposal story with interest.

Maybe fill it with the most unsuccessful kit builds and the burn it on a mountain top? Or auction it at an exhibition?!?

Luke