Tuesday, January 02, 2024

New Years Day steam

 

Cake Steam Tea

One of the successes of 2023, was finding a group of friends who run small steam locos on a line in Rowington on a regular basis. Several times last year, and once already in this one, we've taken over Ken's railway in his front garden, and put on a bit of a show. 

Locals usually turn up to watch, chat and ask questions, as well as enjoying the excellent catering on offer. In return, they drop donations in a box. Boxing day saw the best part of £100 raised for Myton Hospice, and we've also collected money for the local air ambulance. 

It's a nice little group of half-a-dozen or so. We work informally, trying to keep one, or better still, two, trains circulating, so there is something to watch. 

News Years Day saw us meet for a quieter couple of hours, and just enjoy the chat, and three flavours of cake on offer. From my point of view, every session makes me more familiar with running steam, I learnt that today was cold enough to need the burner on Ragleth winding up more than normal for example. All things I'm supposed to know being in charge of Garden Rail


Next, I must try to track down the local 16mm Association people. I have visited a few times, but believe they have moved meeting location. The thing is, garden railways are a very social hobby. I struggle with this a bit, but making the effort does pay off. Especially, when you don't have a working line yourself.

1 comment:

Woz said...

Season Greetings Phil,

Thank you very much for your Blog, a real & interesting look into a modelers modern day life.

I love your cake descriptions but alas no black beer last year.
Keep an eye out for Bock, a sweet black beer I think you'll like.

At least you didn't punch yourself in the face & I hope you get your Beetle goin to enjoy.
Imagine operating on your mates front garden railway with your Beetle in view.

Cheers Woz
Sydney, NSW, Australia