Friday, January 05, 2024

Last shop of 2023...

My usuaul plan on the last Saturday of the years, is to head to the Severn Valley Railway to watch some trains, visit the annual book sale in the museum, and have lunch with a pint in the station pub. (Photos from this on Sunday.)

In amoungst this, a stroll down to Footplate is very much part of the day. And the law says, if you visit a model shop, you must buy something, no matter how small. 

Exacly what I would be leaving with was an easy choice this year. The moment I spotted a Tri-ang Giraffe car in the cabinet, the only question was the price. The giraffe has both ears, a rare thing!

Chatting away to the owner, his offer was very reasonable, so I didn't argue. In fact I felt duty bound to add to the pile. 

Hidden amoung lines of Oxford and EFE second-hand road vehicles was this Lesney Beetle. Not a bad fit for OO gauge, I hadn't spotted the missing engine lid, but for a couple of quid, I felt sorry for it. I'm sure it will find a home in a diorama at some point. 

Finally, a mint Bachmann wagon. 37-078X. According to Ramsay's, this is a limited edition model produced in 1989. I just liked the look of it, and can find a spot in the Hornby collection for a wagon representing a competitor. 

Apart from that, and a couple of pots of Revell Anthracite paint, that was my spending dome for 2023. Well, apart from the pint and burger, but those don't really count.

2 comments:

Paul B. said...

Nice Beetle!
There are repro engine covers on eBay, just search for 'matchbox beetle boot lid'.

Phil Parker said...

Thanks - now ordered, even if it does cost nearly twice the car!