Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Hattons - RIP

 

Hattons

Quite a bit of this week has been taken up dealing with the news that one of the best-known model railway retailers, Hattons, was to cease trading. 

It's one of those businesses that, for me, has always been there. Since it launched in the late 1940s, technically it always has been. My first aquaintance was via the many pages of advertising in each issue of any model railway magazine. Page after page of toy train delights, that you could ring up and order in those pre-Internet days.

Years ago, I can't remember exactly how many, but in the 1990s, we were exhibiting at Liverpool show. Having set up, and found our accomodation on the edge of Sefton Park, my Dad and I took a stroll. Pretty quickly, were in one of those areas that, when you see it on the news, would generally be on fire. However, we also spotted the famous Hattons store, and resolved to visit when it was open on the Monday. 

I don't know what I expected, but the showroom was tiny, dark, and if I'm honest, not very exciting. Look past the counter though, and the stockroom streatched out into the distance, just like the end scene in Indiana Jones. A phone constantly rang. 

Suddenly, a customer came in, looking for a controller. Without thinking about it, a staffmember grabbed a train set, split it down, each item having its own cubby hole, and handed the customer the controller. Job done. 

I can't remember what I bought, it wouldn't be very impressive, and we concluded that what they had, was what was in the advert, and pretty much nothing else. Quite an experience. 

Years later, I visited the newer shop by Penny Lane for MREmag business. The showroom was more impressive, and lighter. You couldn't see the storeroom any more either. 

Finally, there is the Hattons hub in Widness. A couple of visits, at least. The model shop was stocked so you could walk in off the street - a requirement of both Bachmann and Peco if you want to stock their ranges. I enjoyed a proper look around this site, including the super-effieient packing fascilities. 

I've never been a big customer, but when I've needed quick and efficient service, they have always been top of the list. I'm going to miss them. 

Obviously, the people I feel story for are the staff. Running the business down seem to be being handled in a measured way, so with luck, alternative jobs will be found. I've met many of them over the years, and without exception, they are nice people.

Looking after RMweb, it's really telling just how many people feel the same way. Hattons was a big part of their modelling lives - an institution as much as a retailer. I know that for Australians, it's the most popular store for UK products, and wonder where they will transfer their business too.

Ultimatly, this is NOT the end for the hobby, as one forum poster suggested, and in a years time we may wonder what the fuss is about. We might even see a soft-landed Hattons still exist in some form. Who knows? It is a bit of a shock though.

No comments: