Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The only Beyer-Garratt built in Manchester this year

MOSI buildWell, the only Garratt built in the Manchester Museum of Science & Industry this year during the "Great Garratt Gathering" anyway.

For some people, three days demonstrating model building means three precious days modelling time. That is, IMHO, the wrong attitude. Far better to say that if you get anything made at all then you haven't been talking to the public enough.

Well, this weekend I think I managed to get the mix about right. On Friday the frames for the front engine unit went together. Plenty of time spent checking resulted in decent alignment of the parts as far as I can tell. You need to be careful as it's easy to find just over a millimetre of error thanks to a bit of slop in the parts that slot together.

Saturday there was lots of riveting - which seemed to interest people a lot. I could have done with a couple of GW Models riveting presses for sale I think as no one seemed to think the cost too horrific once I'd explained my reasoning behind the purchase. After making metal dimples, I assembled the front tank. Of course I then went out and looked at the prototype to discover the vents were 90 degrees out of correct. Once of these promptly fell off but it's safe in my "little bits" box.

Sunday was time for the rear tank. Three goes it took to get the wrapper exactly right. Partly this was my fault for trying a different method for attaching. Let's just say, starting in the middle means everything fits. Start and then and and the MOSI clean upresults aren't quite so good. Still, I did manage to demonstrate how to un-solder things...

Of course all this soldering means the parts have to be cleaned and here I can offer more advice. Scrubbing them with Shiny Sinks in the en-suite of a Premier Inn travelodge works fine BUT without some washing up liquid to clean them up afterwards, the surfaces tarnish. Bulling these up with a fibreglass burnishing pen works, but wastes a chunk of time at the start of the day. But then we want things to look good for the audience don't we ?

No comments: