Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tender wheels


14 and 16mm wheels
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker
According to the instructions, the Bulldog tender should sit on 16mm wheels. Why I went and bought 14mm one then is a mystery, after all I managed to get the right sized one for the locomotive.

Luckily in my stash of bits I did have 3 axles of 16mm Romford wheels, probably intended for another project now forgotten. These have been painted with matt black - not exactly brush friendly but it has to be done. When dry, the treads are cleaned up with a fibre pen until they shine. I feel pleased to have remembered to do this now rather than after construction, it's so much easier than once the body is on.

Posing the wheels for the photo I was surprised how much difference that extra 2mm diameter makes. You can't really see it in the picture but the correct ones really do look a lot bigger. Good job I spotted the error now or there would have been some real head scratching later !

No comments: