Friday, March 23, 2012

Shoehorn that motor

Motor fittedReturning to the 01 diesel, I've been assembling the sub-assemblies to see if they will fit around the motor. The good news is that with only a hint of fettling (read: filing the sides of the footplate hole), everything goes together OK.

There is a cab floor to go in and fill the hole. Working out how this went together made me scratch my head quite a bit, then I looked at the parts and realised that that was what those half etched lines are for ! Basically you build a little stage that fits over rails on the floor. I'm not sure I just helped you with that description but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

Anyway, next up I think will be the cab interior which is a mix of soldered brass and resin bits. I'm going to keep dry-assembling stuff as the roof has to be fitted in place soon and that will stop me painting the inside unless it goes in from under the bottom.

2 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

In the bike shop I work in my boss called this sort of fettling, working out and fitting stuf together a 'Gefummel' I still don't know if it's an offocial word, but I like it.

Phil Parker said...

"Gefummel" - what a fantastic word !