Monday, July 01, 2019

A dig through the stores

I want to get cracking on the Ark, so rather than place orders for components, I've had a dig through the Parker stash of bits.

I now have a speed control, motor, prop, propshaft, servo and rudder. There's a receiver in my new (OK, bought for Christmas and not used yet) radio set. A battery will be nabbed from the drawer, I'm not having jelly cells posted 'cos they weight a ton.

Some of this stuff was bought for other projects and will need to be replaced, but not for the moment. It doesn't do to hang on to some bits anyway, the world moves on and they never find a use. Anyone need a 26meg receiver? Not anymore.

One of the advantages of being in a hobby for a while is you build up component stocks. I remember when first working in 3mm scale model railways, it was a nightmare as every project required a buying session before I could get stuck in. Definitely a disincentive to trying something new. 

Thanks to all those who clicked on the ads, they don't pay a lot, but I've pretty much covered the speed control already!

2 comments:

Luke said...

Are you going to add a sound effects unit for noise of all the animals?

Huw Griffiths said...

You've got a point about using parts originally bought for other projects (but then sidelined and not yet used).

However, some parts might still be slightly "exotic" - 26 MHz R/C (?) - I always thought the R/C gear in my old "buggy" models was 27 MHz - but then I might be wrong, this was quite a few years back ... .

Joking aside, I haven't got a clue what frequency bands get used these days for R/C. I also haven't got a clue what modern R/C gear needs in the way of antennae - or is that what the handle's for on the roof?

I certainly hope the days are long gone, of foot long, springy wires sticking out the top of models - and coloured ribbon flags, to identify channels and warn everyone in the vicinity.

Stuff like that was fun while it lasted (a long time ago for me - well, I am in my 50s ...) - but I'd like to think that things might have progressed a bit over the years.


Anyway, returning to your new project, I hope you enjoy building it. I'm certain that a number of people will enjoy reading about what's involved - what works - what doesn't - what adjustments you need to make - stuff like that.

It should all be very interesting - and I suspect I'm far from alone in looking forward to it.