Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Not an ideal maiden voyage

Look closely at these two photos taken 2 minutes apart.



You might think they look like a pretty boat sailing on the water at our boat club, and you would be right.

The sharp-eyed will notice that the model appears to be sitting slightly lower in the water in the second shot. I was not sharp-eyed on the day.

Fortunately, by the time the model had made it halfway around the lake, even I realised something was wrong and pointed the model at the bank. It made it, but then sank.

Running around the pond I reached the boat which had lodged on a ledge, I'm glad I left the handle in place, and I was able to haul it out. Popping the deck off, I emptied out the water and took the model back to the bench for further drying.

Back home, the good news is that the electric seems to have survived. I just need to work out what's gone wrong.

For what it's worth, the advantage of brightly colour models is you can spot them underwater.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the rudder tube high enough? In an earlier post it looks like the top of the rudder tube is below the water line - could just be camera angle though!

Luke said...

I blame the elephants...
I remember what they did on Blue Peter.

Michael said...

Haha, oh the irony that the Ark has sunk! Das Ark? Great project though, very fun looking.