Friday, July 19, 2019

Sewage, scenics and an interview in BRM

Lots of stuff from me in the latest BRM. I kick off with a photo session at South Bierly Sewage Works.


I spotted this layout at Lancing show a couple of years ago and was really taken with it. OK, we have an odd-ball subject in an unusual gauge (O14) but it's very much my sort of model. Highly detailed, different and small. OK, it's not OO, but I hope the readers can enjoy a trip off the beaten track occasionally.


Next, I've been to see Finescale Model World, purveyors of some very interesting tools. Steve and I had a very enjoyable chat for about 4 hours talking about model making, not just railway modelling either!

As well as being a tool and scenic material supplier, he also builds models on commission and has a really well-sorted workbench. Far tidier than mine and with a Microflame torch that I covet, even if it's well out of reach financially for someone who isn't soldering professionally. One of those tools that save its cost if you are charging by the hour though.

My big project this month is a complete, albeit tiny, layout.



The latest Billy Bookcase model is the 009 layout and starting with the baseboards I built a couple of months ago, I've completed the project apart from wiring and fiddle yard. It's a really pretty model and I'm very pleased with the way it looks. There's a real variety of products used too. 

Finally, on the DVD, it's time to take a look at electrostatic grass. 


Regular viewers will know we've been here before, but it's one of those subjects that is so fundamental to our hobby now that it's worth a re-visit every so often. This time, the demonstration centres on the new Woodland Scenics system which includes some really excellent colours that deserve plenty of attention from those looking for quality greenery. 

No comments: