Monday, July 26, 2010

Engine shed part 1

Engine shed part 1Very early on in this project I decided that I wanted to use an Airfix engine shed. Not converted to something weird but as an honest to goodness engine shed. Just to show it could be done.

My inspiration came from Martyn Welsh's layout "Hursley" which appeared years ago in issue 40 of Model Railway Journal. This might sound daft, to compare an Airfix building with one of the finest model railways ever made but there is logic to this. You see the preview photos showed the inside of the shed had been fitted out. It also provided nice clear shots to give me an idea of the changes to be wrought on the basic kit to bring it up to scratch.

Anyway, one of the most important things I had to do is line the walls with bricks. Airfix, bless 'em didn't bother with interior detail. Not that they couldn't you understand, they just didn't in those days. So the first think I had to do is build up the inside of the walls with plasticard. 2mm did the deeper bits with some 1mm around the windows. I've not been to careful here as the work will be covered in the next stage. Just hope I don't regret that in the long term.

1 comment:

Jim Frisby said...

Like the concept behind this layout - bigger (and more useful) than a boxfile, but still easy to tranport and store. I think I've just ordered a similar box online from storage4crafts - at least it looks the same in the pictures and the dimensions appear to match up. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with in the same space.
Thanks for the idea / inspiration!