Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A lifebelt for the Ark


One last job before a return to the lake, make a buoyancy aid for the Ark.

My theory is that if I fill the hull with polystyrene, it can't fill with water. This might not save it on its own, but if it does start to sink, the sinking will be less dramatic and I can charge the bank to get within rescue distance.

To aid this, the receiver is sealed up in a plastic bag. I can't protect the motor or servo, and the speed control can take a dunking, but it's all about increasing survivability.

The foam is hacked away using a sharp knife (messy) and hot wire (clean, but limited use due to access issues). I kept pushing down on the foam to mark where I should cut next.

Fingers crossed I don't need this...

2 comments:

Huw Griffiths said...

Sounds like a good idea.

Incidentally, just how tight is the seal between the deck and the hull?

I know this might sound like a crazy question, but I was just wondering if a thin layer of rubber - or a bead of silicone bathtub sealant might fit in, effectively as a compression seal.

Probably a daft idea - I'd be the first to admit that I don't have experience of R/C boats but I'm curious what steps would be available to prevent any "washouts" in future.

Whatever the score, it's interesting to read about this stuff.

Phil Parker said...

Huw - I'd pondered that myself. If water gets up that high, it can get in so there might need to be a little more work. Having said this, the model is pretty stable but on choppy water, more precautions might be a good idea.