Monday, September 30, 2019

J72 comparison


With the new Bachmann J72 winging its way to the shops via a boat from China, we wanted to do a little video review, and Andy thought it would be a good idea to compare the new model to the old one. Needless to say, he didn't have one of those, but I did. 

Since I was heading over to chez York for some filming anyway, I dug out my locomotive and cleaned the wheels. Initially, it was reluctant to run, but plonking the wires on the chassis block saw the wheels revolve. 

After a minute or so, I started to be able to apply power via the wheel treads. I wonder if the grease had stopped the electricity moving, until it was disturbed. 

The model runs OK. Not amazing in the way the new one, or any modern RTR, does, but good enough for most people. It's not a bad looker either, despite being decades older than the new version. 


1 comment:

matt scrutton said...

I've got a 68745. Its actually one of the original mainline issues. I keep meaning to put an etched chassis under it