Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Warehouse Wednesday: Steel water tower

Bishop's Lydeard water tower

An interesting water tower found at Bishops Lydeard on the West Somerset Railway. I'm thinking that this is an industrial tank moved to the railway rather than an original GWR design. Surely they would have built in brick. Judging by this photo I found, it wasn't there in 1963.

Modelling would involve a trip to the Plastruct rack for most of the structure. The tank itself would be trickier unless someone makes the panels. I recall Mikes Models made some whitemetal bits but these are harder to come by and I can't find a photo. 

If you are modelling virtually, then a model is available!



 

2 comments:

Ian C said...

Hi Phil, I am closely involved with the WSR. it is indeed an industrial water tower, I cannot now remember where it came from. We put it up in the early 1990s. Since then we have acquired a proper railway water tower from reading. This awaits time and money to put it up. Interestingly, the "new" one also stands on iron legs.

Anonymous said...

I think similar etched brass panels are available from Alan Gibson