Monday, September 02, 2019
Lights on, no action
Having ascertained that the electrics in the ark were working, my plan for a good long sail was thwarted.
Switching on the model after charging the battery overnight, the Viper speed control showed both red and green lights and the servo had the jitters. All the channels on the receiver seemed to have swopped around too.
How could this happen? The only thing I'd done since it had worked before was charge the battery.
After a fair bit of pugging and wiggling, I gave up and pinched a battery from another boat - one on charge for a visit from my cousins (who needed to be entertained) a couple of days later.
This seemed to cure things, but then I put a meter on the batteries. The good one gave over 6V, the duff one 4.something. At a guess, not enough for the receiver or speed control.
Diagnosis, my charger is faulty.
Digging around, I found a Thunder Tiger version and a suitable lead to connect it to the battery. A few hours later, the meter said 7V. Not sure how that works, but I'm thinking this proves it can hold a charge.
More importantly, I managed to get the boat on the water and find out how it leaks.