Monday, November 29, 2010

Parry People mover

Stourbirdge ShuttleIs this the future of branch line railways ?

Nipping up to Stourbridge last week I spotted that after a long gestation, the Parry People Mover is operational. It runs the shortest branch line in Europe, nipping back and forth from the junction to town stations. I've always been a fan of the concept - essentially a flywheel stores energy to power the vehicle, this is spun up every so often either by a small petrol engine or electricity. It's efficient and should be greener than a normal diesel railcar.

What I want to know is, where can I buy the model of this thing ? I mean there are two of them so surely Bachnby should be rushing out a RTR version straight away ? It's a disgrace I say.

Actually this could be just the think for the space strapped modeller. The Town end of the line is a single track. Obviously rolling stock is limited in range, the aforemented people mover and a single coach railcar for when the Parry machine is out of action. Operation would be a bit dull too but you could automate this. In fact the more I think about it, maybe it would make a nice little micro layout...

Stourbirdge Shuttle and shed

No comments: