Saturday, November 12, 2011

Station and Railcar in Hornby Magazine Yearbook

Christmas time is here again and that means the arrival of Hornby Magazines yearbook.

This year the publication differs in having a central theme - the building of a layout based in ex-GWR territory. Both the "How to Guides" and prototype information revolve around the project and give reader an idea of the scope of such a project both from the research and building ends of the job.

My contributions are assembling a Ratio Station and detailing a "Flying Banana" railcar. The photos have come out very well and I'm very pleased with the look of my work.

The railcar is a little unusual for a magazine project because although I tried flush-glazing it, this didn't work so I reverted to the supplied plastic item. I make it rule to improve a model when modifying it and if something isn't going well, then stop it. In this case, the glazing kit didn't fit well so I decided that non-flush glazing was better than badly fitted windows.

Maybe this means there is a gap in the market for a better set (some of those nice laser cut ones perhaps) or maybe just a new model. Railcars are lovely but not often seen on layouts. Apart from Flockburgh of course. And I have a GWR steam one in my kit stash. And a couple of G1 Bananas to look at some time. And a 3mm scale one I can't remember why I bought. Oh, and that 7mm kit for an early banana.

Hmmmm. Perhaps it would be better if no-one produced a new RTR model please. Until I've finished mine at least !

Amazon has a really good deal on the yearbook.

4 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

Hi Phil,
totally coincidentally, I've just acquired a Lima railcar (mostly because I picked up an EM Ultrascale conversion pack for £2 recently that would fit it!) which I intend to detail. I, too, am thinking about flush-glazing the model...and wonder if the best approach wouldn't be to remove the frankly awful top-light mouldings and maybe commission an etched replacement. This would have the advantage of better appearance and would make the glazing easier to fit, although it might be a bit fragile.
Thanks for a useful article (the one about the prototypes was handy too).
Regards,
Simon Hargraves

Phil Parker said...

It's not just the sides that are an issue, the front is a pain too because the angles on the windscreens don't work for the vac-formed glazing.

The solution would be to get Shawplan to do some laser cut and etched glazing. They can tailor it much better for the whole model.

My feeling is that if you want to etch, bin the body and do the whole thing.

Simon Hargraves said...

Well, I'll just have to get my act together and send an e-mail to Shawplan! I suppose its viability for them will depend on whether they think there will be enough demand for a product to enhance a rather old model. I'm sure the article in the yearbook will help; I can't have been the only one to have read it, and the railcars are still a popular prototype.
As for a full etched body, I wonder how many people would be scared off by that roof; or are you just thinking maybe overlays?

Phil Parker said...

The GWR railcar is a very popular model and there are loads around on the 2nd hand market.

I'd enviasge an etched verion being pure brass, although resin roof ends wouldn't be a bad idea. I envisage this as I have 3mm and Gauge 1 versions in my "pending" pile somewhere. Not sure if either kit is any good but I'll find out sometime.