Thursday, July 18, 2013

Locomotive breaking

07 007

I'm quite pleased with this model of an 07 diesel shunter. Built for Modelling British Railways Diesel Locomotives, it's based on a Silver Fox resin kit and runs on a second-hand Bachmann 03 chassis. Basically, it's a model anyone could build - and if you buy the bookazine (on sale 6th October) then you can find out more.

So pleased was I, that I took it along to Hartlepool show to wave under a couple of peoples noses. That was my mistake, pride coming before a fall so to speak.

The fall was made by the loco as I was setting up my stand. The fall was about 18 inches. The fall ended with a hard, tiled floor.

The results were not pretty.

Cracked07

I stuck the loco back in its box and couldn't look at it for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow, I'll explain how I made things better.

4 comments:

Christian said...

:( Heartbreaking stuff. People who don't make stuff don't understand the love you put into building these things.

Phil Parker said...

Spot on. Well said that man. Summed up what I felt at the time.

Paul B. said...

About 20 years ago I placed my recently completed Nonneminstre Models Planet on a section of track at the front edge of my exhibition layout at a local show, organised by the club that I was a member of at the time. Another club member managed to knock my pride and joy off the layout onto the floor. Like you I put it away and couldn't bear to look at it for the rest of the day.
The club paid for a replacement kit, which was jolly decent of them. When I ordered it I explained to Peter Smith (Mr Nonneminstre, nice chap)what had happened and described the damage, which was mainly to the roof, buffers, and cab rear and one side. He very kindly gave me replacement castings for the affected parts so I could make repairs. Which I did and the second kit is still in the attic unbuilt (for now...).

Phil Parker said...

Peter Smith is a top chap. I bought a Nonneminstre Models Planet years ago and when I opened it, there was a fault with a sideframe casting. A quick call and I had 3 replacements a couple of days later.

The kit was superb and the service excellent. I always recomend them to others.